How do you communicate your brand values, USP and story digitally?
It sounds simple but to communicate your story you just need to know how to tell it. How you tell it is the key to capturing and engaging your audience.
To do this, you need to know a little about content marketing.
This is an age old, tried and tested marketing technique which focuses on producing content for a targeted audience by delivering it to them through specific channels at considered times.
By doing this, you're able to use your resources to create calculated pieces of work, which will engage the exact type of customer you're looking for.
It's What Makes Google Tick
This marketing technique is one which also keeps Google very happy. If I could tell you anything about digital marketing, it's that after your customers, you want to keep Google happy.
Google 'spiders' are sent out to scale the web and collect information from websites by following links on web pages, leading the spiders to more pages to collect more data and so on and so forth.
If the spiders arrive at your site and find new content each time, they will know to come back more often. Google loves websites which are kept updated because it knows users engage with these sites more.
So how do you create content which your clients will want to read? We believe it's as simple as the 7 steps below:
- Define your goals - Business or campaign goals, you need to have a focus. It could be as niche as increasing attendance at an event or as broad as launching a new product.
- Research your audience - Who do you need to target? At this stage, it's best to establish around 3 to 5 personas for your whole business. What content do they look for, where do they look for it, are they on social? Build a profile to work from.
- Plan your online marketing - Take your research and create a plan of action. Remember to use your research to inform your plan.
- Create your content - News articles, blog posts (company/guest blogs), images, videos, PDFs, slideshows, infographics, case studies, digital newsletters - the list is long!
- Publish your content - The majority of your content will be published on your website but there are other platforms which may help too: YouTube, SlideShare, PR etc.
- Promote your content - Where you promote your content is dependent on where your audience is online. Social media is a great option but there are other places to consider too, so make sure you explore!
- Analyse the results - Google Analytics is integral to any online marketing plan. Make sure you have this set up and running before you start.
There's More Than Just Content
I would love to say it's as simple as that, however, in digital marketing, it's never that easy. Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) is at the heart of everything we do, so optimising your content throughout is integral.
Not only that but it's integral to consider the overall health of your website. Adding well written and optimised content to a website that suffers from poor maintenance may limit your online success. You may even be penalised by Google without even realising.
This is why it's important to always review and audit your website on a regular basis. Understanding what is holding you back from acquiring more traffic and conversions should be your number one priority if you're planning on improving your online marketing.
How Can We Help?
We offer a full online marketing audit, helping you understand exactly what you need to do to get your digital marketing on track. We also hold training sessions on a monthly basis to give you the knowledge to work on your marketing plan yourself.
Join us for the sixth and final instalment of our 6 Steps to Telling Your Story blogging series: STEP 6 - Does Your Team Embody It?
Come along to our next Marketing Leaders Lunch to learn more